Thursday, September 19, 2013

We're definitely past these.



So, I posted about throwing some boxes in the recycling, and then I came upon these in a drawer, stowaways from THE MOVE.  When I was working with The Redhead as an early reader, I bought a basic set of sight words, which I later gave away to our neighbor.  But that basic set wasn't enough for me.  Or The Redhead.  She wanted more.  And I wanted to give that to her.  It was my duty to give that to her. So I started making my own with index cards.  It started innocently enough.  I was jotting down words I thought were popular or vital.  Then I took out five of our favorite children's stories, and wrote down the most common words.  And as this progressed, we ended up having hundreds upon hundreds of sight word cards.  And she soaked them all in.  She begged to memorize them all.  Now it's hard to say if this is why The Redhead is nine and reading at almost a ninth grade level, but it probably didn't hurt anything.  And it's not as though I pushed them down her throat.  She just kept wanting to study words, and I learned how common these words were.  And to this day, I keep finding stacks of these cards.  Escapees.



I think it's safe to assume that we can recycle those too.

No comments:

Post a Comment