Friday, June 13, 2014

Friday the 13th with Friends

The Redhead asked us last Sunday as we were driving back from Yosemite if she could have a sleepover with her friend on Friday the 13th.  We had no problem whatsoever with her having her friend over.  We've gotten used to this.  Then she mentioned while we stopped for gas that she wanted to since the 13th is known for being a supernatural, paranormal sort of day.  She used my phone to text the little girl's mother, she was fine with it, and everything was set.



I had to take the girls to the grocery store briefly.  As we were leaving, the conversation shifted to something new and before I knew it, I was practically choking as soon as I heard a ten year old say the word, "abortion."  The Redhead asked what that was, because out of all the words and Gordian knots she knows, she didn't know that one.  Her friend defined it before I had a chance.  And the whole drive back home involved one of the most adult of all topics.  I called it as such, and finally the conversation ended, with a few extra comments.




It's one thing you just can't control.  You can't control what things your child will hear.  You can't control the conversations you will even be privy to.  I'm going to blame Friday the 13th though, because out of all the things I could have witnessed, that was the most paranormal and freaky.  And I've been scarred.  I'm hoping the girls are fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment