Friday, September 19, 2014

Where There's Smoke...





Last Sunday, we had this brilliant idea to drive out to the Auburn area to some festival I had read about in a local magazine.  We had no idea what to expect, but the drive was certainly scenic.  We happened upon some ravine road, and it was indeed appropriately named.  Not only that, but we also drove over the highest bridge in California.  I don't have any photos to prove it, but we did.  Perhaps next time.











We finally made it to the festival.  It was small, and we saw most of it within a blink.  They were smoking food, and I figured that was what was making it so hard for me to breathe.  I felt as though I was suffocating.  I hadn't brought my inhaler, and I'm not used to a smoker bothering me quite that much, but it was.  Mister Man had wondered if the pines trees were part of my problem, and they very well could have been, but it didn't matter what it was, I just couldn't breathe.  I was trying, but it wasn't getting much easier.  We picnicked at a nearby park and then decided to head into Auburn.





Heading back, we saw something we weren't expecting.  I saw a lot of smoke and a wildfire.  That would explain all my troubles.  Later we found out that there was a nasty fire out that way.  It's currently sixty miles from Sacramento, but closer to us.  The fire is huge and last I knew, it was only 5% contained as of Thursday.  I'm not scared for our area, but we still have to breathe it in.  Wednesday while on the soccer field, you could see this huge cloud of smoke, the same smoke that was above our neighborhood, plaguing our walk to school.  Today, it was worse.  It's rich in the air and it's only getting stronger.  My heart breaks for those closer to it.



Don't feel sorry for us or my lungs.  Feel sorry for those who are closer to the fire.  Feel sorry for the trees.  Feel sorry for those who have lost their homes.  There is one upside.  I don't feel quite as silly and dramatic for choking and feeling as though I was dying last Saturday and every day since.  That's the only upside though.



No comments:

Post a Comment