Monday, December 2, 2013

No Shame


Although, I have no idea how well this latest project will go, I have succeeded with the second phase.  I made hot chocolate brownies.  And they're beautiful.  I forgot how much fun I have mixing substances with a butter knife.  







And just as pretty once baked.













Aren't those gorgeous?  This is the point where I could completely take credit for all that deliciousness swirling in a glass dish, but you know what? 



I can take credit because I did make them.  




Yeah, from a box.  


I'm not even going to lie.  I saw these in a store over a week ago and thought, "you know what?  I wanted to make those hot chocolate things I keep seeing the Pinterestese do!"  And I thought about leaving the box there, and then the wheels in my head were turning. "What's the worst thing that could happen?"  So I bought them and I made them today just to prove that something out of a box can count too.  And I'll even admit to it.  I have no shame.  I have no reason to lie about it.  Or pretend.  Because I can bake from scratch...and out of a box.  I can bake whatever I want.  And I won't pretend that I slaved over it if I didn't.  There is nothing to be ashamed of.  I was trying a new product!  I was putting myself out there.  And for less than a $1.80, it certainly costs less than brownies from scratch do, especially hot chocolate brownies.  Seriously.  And like anyone in his office is going to care.  If they ask for the recipe, I'll be honest.  I tried a new box mix to see if it'd work out.  Absolute truth.  I can be an honest baker.  



I'm not going to be someone who tries to act like they put more work into something than they did.  Using a box mix isn't something to be ashamed of.  I've found that frosting out of a can is so much faster and a LOT cheaper (most of the time) than when I make my own from scratch.  Sometimes I want my own from scratch though.  Sometimes, I just like watching the butter and powdered sugar become friends.  Sometimes, I have exactly four minutes to frost something.  That's when the can comes out.  Sometimes, I just like baking for sport, so it doesn't matter how long it will take or how much effort it takes.  I will see the chess match through.  I want to see the results.  I want to carve my own statue of David.  Betty Crocker doesn't always get to have all the fun.  


But when she does, I get to add that little pink box top to The Redhead's box top chart that hangs out on my fridge.  And that's a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment