Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Day three and I didn't bake...

I murdered Oreos instead.  That's right.



And then I murdered some candy canes too.  Just for the heck of it.






And let me add, murder has never smelled so good.



My kitchen may be the scene of the crime, but man, a crime has never been so delicious.



And the best part?  I used my new blender for the first time.




And the reason this is such a big deal is that I usually do all the crushing by hand, well with a potato masher.  But it hurts.  A lot.  And takes me at least thirty minutes, because I'm a perfectionist.  And I want them crushed perfectly.


This thing?  It took seconds.  Seconds!  Seriously.  I wasn't sure whether to be ticked off or impressed.


And if you can tell, those aren't just any Oreos.  Those are a special sort of Oreo.  And from the first time I saw them in Target, I knew they needed to be made into truffles.  They were begging for it.



I used the whole package.





And after I saw how wonderfully smooth that process went, I decided to try it with candy canes too.  Sure, I enjoy beating anything to a bloody pulp, just like the next person.  But there's something enticing about blending, chopping, processing.  Something cleaner, with less evidence, somewhat even barbaric as you watch it.



Of course I took the wrappers off.  Five of them.  I only put in five.



And the blender did too good of a job.  They weren't candy canes anymore.  They were powdered.




After all that was sorted out and my enforcer Mr. Blender did his job, I decided to work my end of things and start on the actual truffles.




While a lot of people use cream cheese in their Oreo truffles, I do not.  I have.  But I much prefer chocolate pudding.  It's cheaper, it's not nearly as rich, and there's just something smooth and fabulous about it.  You can make them however you want.  I'm not a food blogger.  I'm not even attempting to be.  So go on with your cream cheese fantasies.  But I'm doing it My Way, just like Frank Sinatra would have suggested.


Half a cup of milk, one regular sized box of chocolate pudding.


Then things got really messy and glorious when I added in the Oreo remains.



And they got even more interesting when I rolled them into little balls, in no exact size whatsoever.  And then they went to hang out in the fridge for ten minutes or so.  They needed some me time.




Now, these are completely unnecessary, but for me, they're completely necessary.  I have to have miniature cupcake liners.  Not just for appearances.  Not just for sanitary purposes.  Just because.  And how cute are those anyway?  Sure, I could have gotten them cheaper at the Dollar Tree, but I was loving those from Joann's.  Wilton makes cute stuff!





Once they were ready to come socialize with the world again, I had my white almond bark waiting just for them.


The candy cane bits were waiting too.





And so were the mini cupcake liners.  Everything's better in a miniature version!  Well, almost everything.





The very first victim.  My trophy.





They're so pretty!  Especially after their candy cane dusting!










And five crushed candy canes were more than plenty.  So much so, that I am keeping those, along with any leftover Oreo crumbs from the blender (those are the black specks you see) and using them for a future project.  There were way too many to waste.




Now in the fridge they wait.  Just between you and me...I know a few won't be making it tomorrow.  I know Mister Man.  I know his love of anything consisting of white chocolate.





I'm glad those candy cane Oreos spoke to me at Target from the very first day I noticed them.  And I was certainly right.  They were meant to be truffles.  It was their destiny.  That's my justification for their murder and a brilliant defense.

1 comment:

  1. You are my new candy cane, Oreo killing HERO.

    ReplyDelete