Sunday, October 27, 2013

How our Home Got Dressed for Halloween

Being in a new house inspired me in a lot of ways this year.  Our fireplace is completely different than the one in Kansas.  The mantle is a different height and depth.  The rooms are different shapes and sizes.  There isn't a basement.  We don't have window seats anymore.


And out of all the differences, they're all okay.  I'm embracing them because there's nothing more invigorating than getting to paint a blank canvas.  I enjoyed using a lot of what I already had, but I really enjoyed the chance to create new things.  And I haven't been this inspired or motivated to decorate my home in a really long time.  I'm hoping this is a sign of good things to come and not just a one hit wonder.





I asked Mister Man to cut some posts we had so I could make these the very first year we were throwing a Halloween party.  Flash forward to sometime late last winter, he finally did.  Now he thought they were candles, but no.  They were to be something better.  I'm glad they survived the move, because these were an awesome addition.


One day while shopping in a Target, I saw some coasters in the Target $1 bins, one of my favorite places to shop.  During that same trip, I kept thinking about purchasing this little black frame I'd found 70% off.  And then suddenly I had an epiphany.


Next thing you know, I framed a coaster.


 This mirror was free out of some items I found on a curb.  No kidding.  A little black spray paint, and it looked fabulous as part of my gallery wall.





The number seven was a $1.99 find at Home Goods and that bat was also found there for $7.  I loved them both.  And they were the first items I had for my gallery wall: Halloween Edition.


That copper mirror was okay, but the day I bought the coasters, I had another idea hit me.  I saw this awesome plastic raven plate at Target and the wheels started turning in my head.  Within days, I was making my own mod podge.


After using the mod podge to stick some awesome scrapbooking paper to a canvas (less than $4 at Michael's for a two pack if you watch the sales).  Then I added my pal Gorilla Glue to the back of that 99 cent plate, and suddenly I had another piece of art I was in love with.






I took out the photos that were in my window photo frame and stuck in some owls from the Dollar Tree. 


 There were still some things missing though,  and suddenly, that canvas map really wasn't fitting in anymore.


And no matter how hard I tried to convince myself it was fine, it wasn't.


So I finally started something my brain had wanted to make forever.




It took me a day, but it was worth it.



Do you recognize the significance of all of those locations?




My mantle was one of my early works that I was constantly working on.


I've had a mad obsession with ravens this season, so Mister Man cut a piece from leftover wood from our zoo project.  With some black spray paint, a staple this time of year, and some stencils I bought for other projects, I made this simple little sign.  All to hide the XBox Kinect.  It was effective.


I'm not afraid to use the Dollar Tree to decorate my home, and that's where the creepy cloth and skeleton garland came from.


I bought some bottles from Tuesday Morning ages ago and they worked well with the look I was going for.




I have had these little candle holders forever, a random yard sale find back when I actually went to yard sales.  I never found candles that would work for them, but I suddenly had some bizarre idea this year to use paper in them.  Luckily, I found them and printed off some Halloween sheet music in 3.5x5 pieces, rolled them up, and taped them and they worked so amazingly well!



That creepy cameo was from the 99 cent store. it's actually a hair clip or broach, but I just liked it for decor.  The hands were leftover from another project.






That bowl was an idea I had based off of a Pottery barn vase.  I liked the idea of a little treat bowl using a cheap green bowl from the 99 cent store, some super glue, plastic hands from Michael's, and ecru spray paint.  I love that thing.  Love love love.



Back to my ammo box.  My ticketholder (surely you've seen these on Pinterest) went along with the colors, so I put it there and added a little skeleton I found in a tote.  I like having a bank around for spare change, and that little owl was a perfect find from the 99 cent store. (I'm really loving that store!)






I had the lantern from our Egyptian party and I spray painted that vase and added black flowers.  That wired tree was something my father had made and that my aunt gave to me.  I love it more than anyone could ever know.


Mister Man said the pencils look like stakes to kill vampires, so I left them out to be funny.







No comments:

Post a Comment