Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Mystery in the Trash

I was back home after walking The Redhead to school, and I stopped by the trash to toss in the Band-aid that was annoying me, the Band-aid from my new blister, after yesterday's stunt.  And then suddenly I glanced around wondering if I was using the wrong trash can.  No, that's my house behind me.  What wasn't mine was the extra bag on top.  The bag with cardboard and CDs, and other things.  It was what I saw first glance.  I didn't look further.


Now, this isn't new.  In Kansas, extra trash would show up.  My trash would even disappear.  But a couple weeks back, I realized I hadn't put trash out, and I exit out the door dragging the trash bin and discover another trash can in its spot.  I was so confused.  The other side of the street had already been visited by the trash company, so my guess is a neighbor put it there since ours wasn't.  I'm guessing a neighbor also decided to put an extra bag in our bin this morning.  It's fine, I suppose.  Just a bit unexpected.  And you know, if they'd RECYCLE....they wouldn't have as much trash....


I know, I know.  But they pick up your recycling at your house!  Okay, I get it.  It's not for everyone.  But it's so easy.  You pay for it anyway.  It's a service you pay for.  So why send recyclable materials to the landfill?  I know.  I'm pushing my pesky beliefs on others.  In Kansas, I could give people a break.  After all, recycling took some effort.  But here?  Sigh.  I mean, the trash men here, they don't even get out.  The truck does it all.  A lever type claw goes down, picks up the bins (recycling, green waste, trash- all at different times) and dumps them inside the truck.  The crew in Kansas, they are doing heavy lifting.  They grab individual bags.  They have to have crews of several men.




Since we do recycle though, there is plenty of room in our trash.  But I didn't make that room so people would have even more of an excuse to toss things in the landfill.  I do it because it's the right thing...oh, there's that self-righteous hippie again.  Sorry.  Carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment