Friday, January 3, 2014

If He'd Been My Son

I would have been glad someone followed the proper state laws and yielded at the crosswalk and allowed him to go ahead.



I would have been proud to know he made eye contact with the driver of the car that stopped, before heading across the busy road onto the median.  His friends were already there, waiting for him.



I would have also been proud he held on to his skateboard instead of skating out in front of cars.  Unlike what his friends did.



I would have also been proud of him for wearing his helmet, also a state law, and something you don't see very often; something his friends weren't doing.




And I'm glad I got to witness him today and be that car that followed the laws and allowed him across, a law very few cars like to follow around here.  Perhaps it's not a popular law, but I don't really care.  It's also nice to see a kid wearing a helmet.  It's a state law to make sure your children wear their helmets when bicycling, skateboarding, and riding on a scooter.  However, that doesn't stop most of the students at The Redhead's school from showing up without helmets.  Our crossing guard gets very angry and I have heard the principal and the crossing guard remind people of such laws.


As for walking your bike and skateboard and scooter, I don't know if that's a state law or not, but it is a school rule.  And it's not always followed.  



Kansas didn't exactly have these sorts of laws, but I'm glad that California does.  I'm even happier when they're followed.  And if I had a son, I would hope he would be doing the same, even if his friends weren't.


No comments:

Post a Comment