Friday, November 22, 2013

Why do we make it so hard?

Rather, why do I make it so hard?



I ask myself that very question almost every year.



It starts close to Christmas as I scramble to get my cards out.  But wait....



No, I can't simply stuff some cards in an envelope.  I know a few other people with this same pathological need.  No, there is a newsletter we have to type up.  But first I need an outline.  And to revise it.  Match it up to whatever stationary I have picked out in advance.  Make sure I got the measurements perfectly to not cover up any illustrations on the stationary.  Print them all out ever so carefully.  Fold them just so.  Stuff them inside the envelopes I have deemed to require a newsletter.  Sort through holiday photos and class photos and put them in certain envelopes, careful not to cause any repeats.  That's after photos are labeled, of course.  Then I have all my address labels, both for the recipients as well as our address.  And I only do that part because it saves my hands from writing them all out.  Plus, it's an excuse to play in my massive font collection.  There.are.just.so.many.



And after it is all said and done, I slap on holiday stamps I bought specifically for the purpose, drop them in the mailbox, sigh of relief, and ask myself, again, why I do this.



And last year, we received six cards in return.  Six.  And one of them didn't count, it was from our insurance agent.  But regardless of how many we receive in return, we are sending out sixty this year.  I can only imagine how many I will send out in thirty years from now.   My husband is hoping less than sixty.


At this point, I haven't even started my newsletter, but this time last year, I barely had my cards ordered.  (I already ordered my cards and have picked them up.)  I'm taking my time this year.  Because I can.  That's right.  I'm spreading out the tasks.  After years of balancing this tedious, unnecessary process, along with a job, volunteer efforts, and other life events, I finally have the time people always said I had anyway.  I can finally organize it how I always wish I could have.  I'm not reserving one afternoon as I frantically look at the clock and freak out in between wetting envelopes with a paper towel.  So far, I don't have pneumonia like I did last year.  I shouldn't have to send them out so close to Christmas as I have the last two years, just because I had to work two plus weeks straight without a day off (while sick, mind you).  And I'm not telling you this make myself sound superhuman.  Hardly.  I'm telling you this because  I don't have to kill myself over cards this year.  Unnecessarily kill myself over cards.  Just like so many others before me.  Unnecessarily put that much effort into something when I barely had the time or energy anyway.   Which is fairly humorous when you think about it.  Because why would anyone put that much effort into cards?  Why do we put so much effort into these things?  Whether you get six or six hundred in return, is it worth it?  Is it worth all of that?



Well, if it wasn't worth it, I wouldn't do it, would I?


Wait...don't answer that.  But let me answer the prior question.  Yes, yes it is worth it.  I just can't explain why.



But honestly, how can you not make fun of someone for going through all that?  You can't.



So as I'm laughing at myself this evening, as well as questioning my process as I do every year, The Redhead asked me, "Is that hard?  It looks hard.  How do you know which envelopes to put which photos in?  It just looks like a lot of work."


Nah, it's easy...and I could have made it easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment