Wednesday, November 6, 2013

And today I saw Margaret....

She was driving in the lane beside me, and I noticed her as we were both stopped at the light.  I haven't seen her in forever!  And then I remembered....


I'm in California, Margaret's in Kansas.  We worked together, but I don't live in Kansas anymore, and that was most definitely not Margaret. But I glanced again, just for the heck of it.  And sure enough, it had never been Margaret at all. I have no idea who that person was.  But I miss Margaret.  I miss her teasing me about my high energy levels, I miss how she came alive after the worst was finally behind her.  But that wasn't her in that car.



I keep doing this a lot.  For the last four months, I'm constantly recognizing someone....only to realize that can't possibly be them.  That can't be their silhouette.  And it's not even people I was friendly with, or that I knew.  Just people in general.  Like a fellow PTO member's husband.  Wasn't him.  A few different students from my daughter's former school.  Not the same kids.  A staff member.  Nope.  A few coworkers.  No, no, no.  Fellow parents.  Most likely not. This lady I randomly saw around our town.  I have no idea who she was. Sometimes I'm convinced I'm losing my mind.  But when you go from something familiar, to a place where no one is familiar, it is most definitely different.  And as it appears, it takes some getting used to.



But that wasn't Margaret I saw.  And chances are, the next time I recognize someone, that won't be them either.

No comments:

Post a Comment