Tuesday, November 4, 2014

If Only I had Ebola...

So, I realize I'm titling this blog entry with a controversial heading and will fully deserve Ebola after I type this, but please don't think I'm trying to make light of a disease that has taken many lives globally over the years.  In Africa, this is a serious disease.  But considering I've been in pain for days, crippling pain, and attempted to finally make an appointment this morning, and was turned down until Thursday because I hadn't been out of the country, I'm a bit irate.  Based on my current symptoms, had I been out of the country recently, they would have immediately seen me today.  But since I hadn't, the earliest I can get in is Thursday at 2:20.



Normally, my fever and severe pain in my lower back on the right side would be considered worth seeing, but since it's most likely not Ebola, they're not that concerned.  My fever keeps getting higher, my pain spreads from time to time, but it's not Ebola.  So I'm okay.  And sure, I agree.  Not having Ebola is a wonderful thing.  I'm thrilled that the chances of that are quite slim.  I'm not one of those people that gets all worked up and is all, "oh my gosh Ebola!  RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"  No, I'm not going to do that.  I'm also thinking this isn't a worst case scenario type of thing.  But based on what is going on internally, I was already knowing I should have gone in to the doctor, so when the fever hit, I really knew.


You know, I thought it was weird when they told me yesterday that they could get me in on Thursday....



In fact, I sort of thought they were kidding.  But then I thought, "you know, it must not be serious, awesome."  So I figured I would wait it out a bit longer.  I'm always up for any excuse to avoid doctors.  But with this fever and the overall discomfort, I'm starting to get concerned.  Plus, I'm hoping to have this all solved by the time I get on a plane next Thursday.  The sooner the better, folks.  The sooner the better....


I don't want to be the person on the plane that everyone thinks has Ebola.  And I joke about this, knowing I shouldn't.  Because last time I joked about something even remotely similar, I ended up taking the Chicken Pox to my Junior Prom. And that wasn't cool.  Not even close.  I was a spotted freak in an updo, and that was the positive. Not counting the fever of 104 by midnight and sleeping for at least four days straight afterwards.



No, I don't think what I have presently is even close to the Chicken Pox either.



But I'm not the person who runs to the doctor for every little thing, so if I start to wonder if I should see a doctor, I'm usually past the point I should have.  I have other symptoms as well, but you don't need to be privy to those.  And I realize that if this worsens by tomorrow, my rear is going to have to visit Urgent Care. I'm not excited about that at all.  There are always so many sick screaming kids in those places.  And it takes forever.



At this point, I'd be a lot better off if only they thought I had Ebola.  But of course...didn't actually have it.  Because that would be full of freaking out people. And being quarantined.  But at least I'd be closer to knowing what's causing the pain.  And quicker getting my fever down.  I never thought I'd wish for anything involving Ebola.  I deserve what I get at this point.  But those doctors also deserve a miraculous recovery, which I'm hoping happens.  I have plenty of time, after all.  And if such a miracle presents itself, those doctors won't have the opportunity to charge my insurance obscene amounts of money, something they always seem so eager to do.  If that's the case, the joke will be on them, which sounds so much better than the joke being on me.  Here's to a speedy and miraculous recovery.  Without Ebola.

No comments:

Post a Comment