Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Turtle Power


Just last week, I took Mister Man aside while The Redhead was in the backyard and told him we needed something, anything, for her in the backyard.  I told him she was bored and that's why she keeps wanting to go out front with her doll stroller and stuffed friends and play on those giant rocks.  We needed to get started on turning the smaller shed into a playhouse.  We needed to do something. Kids are supposed to play outside.  Kids are supposed to be active.  And since plucking our wee tot from The Midwest where she had a sandbox, a play structure with slide, clubhouse, high bar, rings, and swings, plastic playhouse pirate ship, and other various outdoor toys, we have since dropped her in the west where she has rocks.  The latest thing to bring joy to her face outside consists of a bug house from Target's dollar bins.  We left part of her old stuff in Kansas in the other house's backyard for our tenant's small son, and sold the rest or just simply gave it away.  Including her worm farm and bug houses.


We justified it by saying she was already nine and wouldn't need another swing set or sandbox.  But I think we both underestimated the impact of taking those items away, simply because we were moving.  Mister Man hadn't even thought about her needing anything and he's felt bad about it ever since I told him.  We knew we needed to get to work making our yard worthy of outside playtime.  We had to do something.



These are the years that kids should be playing outside.  It's critical for development.  I read these things all the time complaining how kids don't play outside anymore, that they just play inside on computers and game systems.  And while The Redhead loves her game consoles and computer playtime, she has also been a child who loves the great outdoors.  But aside from the excitement of riding her bicycle and playing with her plush husky in a stroller, she isn't getting quite the thrill that she used to.  Sure, she stills goes hunting for bugs, but that's about it on the fun scale.



I hate the thought that we left that outdoorsy child in Kansas.  And I think Mister Man does too.



So while our gears have been turning and we have been coming up with ideas for the backyard, we knew the one thing she wouldn't have again was the sandbox.  Sure, she loved her awesome sandbox, the huge one with the attached picnic table and umbrella, with the particular sand Mister Man had to have.  But we didn't think we needed to buy a new one or make one.  And then we were driving last Sunday and suddenly we see a green plastic turtle sandbox on the curb, right up the street from our house.  We didn't stop for it, but we should have.  Mister Man said maybe when we came back later in the day.  But I know how that always turns out.  He also KNEW it wouldn't fit in the car.  I thought it would, but I didn't want to argue.  So we headed off for the day.  When we drove back home, surprisingly it was still there, now buried under a bunch of tree trimmings.  It appeared someone was cleaning out their backyard.  And just as Mister Man thought he'd walk home with a sandbox and lid, I was right.  It did fit.  And it was in great shape, other than missing some eyes.  No cracks, it wasn't even that faded.  Someone else's trash is indeed someone else's treasure.


Before we had a chance to do much else, we dashed out for some sand. By late afternoon, it was ready to go.  And then that night I had an epiphany.  I wanted to turn that eyeless turtle sandbox into something else.  Into something even better than a free sandbox.  I wanted to turn it into a Ninja Turtle.



I told Mister Man my idea and asked him, "wait, how much do you want to bet someone else has done this on Pinterest?"


Because folks, I have this concrete theory that every good idea has been thought of by someone else, by multiple someones.  No matter how good you think an idea is, don't be so egotistical to not consider someone else has thought of it too.  If you doubt me, get a craft idea in your head.  Check and see what the Pinterestese have done.  Someone out there has probably done it too.


And sure enough....Ninja Turtle sandbox brought up several pins.  Now came the part I dreaded.  I was going to have to ask The Redhead permission before I even thought about taking a paintbrush to her sort of new sandbox.  It could go either way.  She can jump for joy over my brilliant ideas....or brutally crush them with her tiny feet.  (And yes, I did need to ask her.  We'd already given it to her, it wouldn't be fair to then vandalize it.)


Fortunately, she loved the idea.  She also loved that I thought of it, and then found it on Pinterest too, like so many other ideas.  She had a couple of guidelines though.  It had to be Donatello, and I was only allowed to paint his face.  She knew I would want to do more.


I'm not sure why I love the Ninja Turtles so much, but I do.  Technically, they were in my brother's generation.  They were his toys.  He had so many.  I remember one year he had a Ninja Turtle cake for his birthday.  He had other items as well.  And I recall watching the cartoon every weekday afternoon with him.  Perhaps what I like so much about them is that nostalgic reminder of childhood, of innocence.  That once upon a time there were four baby turtles mutated into ninjas as well as a young girl with a little brother, watching them on the screen, one of the only cartoons that growing girl would watch.


By the time I was a freshman in college, he was no longer playing with his Ninja Turtles.  He was nearing twelve and only cared about game systems and Pogs.  This justified the fact I stole the four main turtles and one April O'Neil for my college dorm room.  My roommate and I hung them from the ceiling with fishing line alongside her New Kids on The Block dolls and other weird memorabilia from our youth.  Our dorm was a thing of greatness.  April hung out on my computer because she was me.  At least I told people she was me in reporter form.  We looked a lot alike and at the time I thought perhaps I wanted to be a sports journalist.  Or maybe I just wanted to be April O'Neil.  I still do.



The last couple of years, the Ninja Turtles have been making a comeback.  Last year for Christmas, I asked for a Ninja Turtle hat and tee and received both from The Redhead.  My shirt received so many compliments at work, mostly from guys.  There is just something about ninjas.  And turtles.  What a combination.  Pure genius.



Another great combination?  Free sandbox.  Turned Ninja Turtle.  A bonus?  The Redhead has inherited my love of mutated turtles.




It wasn't perfect, but it was a start.  And modifiable.  Thank you, Sharpie.




Luckily, Folk Art makes outdoor acrylic paints.






I traced the bottom of the paint bottle for the inner eye, and messed up a bit, but fortunately paint will cover it right up.
















It doesn't get better than that.  





No comments:

Post a Comment