Thursday, March 6, 2014

Smashed Fingers Aren't Much Fun

I don't care who you are, if you smash your finger in a car door, it's going to hurt.  Unless you're one of those rare people who don't feel pain.  And if you are, well, I'm not sure whether to envy you or feel sorry for you.   I have a high pain tolerance, but a smashed finger still hurts.  It hurts a lot.  It hurts enough that you may find yourself spewing expletives you wouldn't always spew.



And The Redhead learned all about this on Sunday (aside from the expletives part).  She found herself distracted by the wet roads, saddened they were keeping her from biking, and next thing you know, she was saving her finger from the bite of of car door.




Ouch is right.  And I assure you, she didn't choose to smash her middle finger only to offend you in some obscene way.




And yeah, she cried.  She probably won't appreciate me telling you this, but she cried. A lot.  For a long time.  And I wanted to erase her pain so badly.  I read this article once about how we coddle our kids too much when they're sick and in pain and we do too much for them.  That we shouldn't try to give them the world.  That we're preventing them from becoming independent.  And you know what I say or type to that?


I. DON'T. CARE.


My kid was in tears with a blackened finger.  She was sad.  I can coddle her all I want, okay?!  ALL I WANT.  Because she's mine.  And my instinct is to attempt to take her pain away.  In fact, I always want to take everyone's pain away.  It's a bad habit.



But smashed fingers aren't much fun.



Do you know what is fun though?



Pedicures.  Pedicures are fun.  And a much needed distraction.  Soaking your feet in a bubbling foot spa?  That's a nice distraction too.



Unwanted advice from lousy, intrusive articles?  Not fun.  And if you think it is, well, then feel free to take the below photo as an offensive gesture.






No comments:

Post a Comment