Thursday, August 15, 2013

What we've been getting ready for all week...






Monday, we had one of our last hoorahs, going to this cool place called John's Incredible Pizza Company.  Kansas City has a couple places similar to it, and we're fortunate we discovered it.  We had our meet and greet at the school on Wednesday.  I wasn't impressed with how it all was handled, but I'm a planner.  And the more I get to know Californians, the more I'm discovering they are less like me.  We were told they'd have volunteer sign up opportunities there and that I just needed to find the tables.  I asked about the tables and was told I just needed to be patient.  And the person told me this as they laughed.  Did I mention that was the principal?  Yeah, she didn't impress me.  I'm hoping with a little luck, she will in the future.  I need to like her because I loved our principals in Kansas.





The Redhead helped me with this basket.  She picked out the majority of the contents.  She's the one who wanted to give her so many soaps and lotions.  Instead of picking which ones, she asked, "can't we give my new teacher all of them?"  Well, sure.  Why not?  As for the note, it was a happy accident.  I was thinking, "hmm...how do I tie all of these things together?  Apple for the teacher in the way of soaps.  Chocolate.  Pens.  A little extra gum...  OH HEY!"  Dollar tree basket, some ribbon from my stash, a clear plastic basket bag I had on hand from the Dollar Tree.  Cute typed up little note.  Perfect.



Then we dropped some school supplies off in the office.  It wasn't important who they were from, although the teacher figured out they were from us.  She knows us already.  That's frightening.  I won't tell you what all is in the basket, but I will tell you- when you're shopping for school supplies and come across good deals, or clearance supplies after the season, consider sending some to your child's teacher.  Trust me.  They can always use extra supplies.  I'm not telling you this to make me come across as a fabulous person, to seem like I'm bragging.  Because I'm not.  By the way, The Redhead doesn't know the extent of what I do, so I would like to keep it that way.  Please.  But did you know that a huge percent of students in a classroom won't even have school supplies?  Guess who ends up supplying them?  Your child's teacher.  Out of his or her own pocket.  And this week, I discovered The Redhead will have thirty-two students in her classroom, as opposed to the 22 in Kansas.  I CAN'T GET OVER THAT!!!!   



Then before we knew it, the day was here.  And the coolest fourth grader I know had to go to school.  Her new school.  A school we can walk to every single day.



She wanted a Mad Pax for this year's backpack.  And although they're very expensive, she was worth it.


She picked out this outfit all by herself too.






And those rockin' shoes were also her idea.



So was the hairstyle.  But I implemented it.



Now this was odd.  We arrived to school just to keep walking around the playground, continuously, like we were in prison. 



And we don't have lockers here like in Kansas.  They just hang their stuff up.  Outside.


They also don't have hallways.  



I underestimated the amount of culture shock I'd be experiencing, just by sending my child to school.


But her teacher was nice enough about allowing me to snap my annual photographs, so I'm going to trust that she's in good hands.



And Fudge is excited that her favorite routine is back in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment