Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Paging Dr. Grey

I was sitting in this waiting room of sorts while The Redhead was in her vocal class.  I brought my pal Harry along in his Chamber of Secrets and a notepad.  I was minding my own business hanging out with Harry, jotting down notes for an upcoming party, and I start to find myself listening to a conversation taking place.  Not that it was my fault.  It was sort of hard not to hear this conversation.  And it was definitely impossible  not to listen to it.


There was a teenage ballerina that had joined the waiting room group of ladies.  And before you knew it, this ballerina was going on about Grey's Anatomy.  I didn't hear any of it in the beginning, but then I was fairly sure I heard something about her being qualified as a doctor.  And I'm sure I had misheard.  Or perhaps she was kidding.  But then I heard her talking about how she watches Grey's Anatomy enough that she's just as qualified as any doctor.  She could enter any ER, any operating room, and know exactly what to do.  After all, she knows most of the codes now, thanks to Grey's Anatomy.  And yes, I thought she was kidding too.  But as she continued, I realized, the only ones who were kidding were the women contributing to the conversation...not the teenage ballerina.



First off, she said blood doesn't really bother her because she's seen it enough on television.  "And Grey's Anatomy is realistic you know, just like real life."  Second, her mother said, "I have two words for you- 'AP Biology.'"  The girl kept attempting, "but, but but," and the mother kept repeating those two words over and over.  Apparently AP biology didn't go very well and the girl tried saying AP Biology didn't matter and that it's barely part of being a doctor, and the mother assured her the classes in medical school would be far worse.  But this teenage ballerina was convinced she was fully capable of being a doctor, even without medical school.  Apparently all you need is a lab coat, at least according to her.  At least that's all she needed.


Another helpful woman was suggesting a medical field "less difficult, like sports medicine or something," which made me laugh as I attempted to pretend I was still reading my book.  The teenage ballerina's mother kept shaking her head and repeating how awful AP Biology went.  Meanwhile, the teenage ballerina was still citing all the ways Grey's Anatomy had trained her in her future career as a doctor.  She even now knew how to save someone's life in an elevator.  Someone asked how often that is needed and she replied, "more than you'd think."


While I'm sure she's not the only person who thinks they're more than qualified to be a doctor after watching a television drama, I'm really hoping she keeps those mad skills to herself...or to the dance floor...or to her imagination.  Because medical school exists for a reason.  No matter how "accurate" and "realistic" a nighttime soap opera may seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment