Thursday, June 11, 2015

Wild About Harry: Sorting my Hatred

I think many people have ended up hating the sorting hat.  Maybe they hated it for putting them in Hufflepuff.  Oh that'd upset me, definitely.






And then there's me....who hates this hat with every fiber in my being...and its being.  Stupid, stupid hat.  It has officially become one of the hardest projects I've ever done and perhaps it's because I foolishly thought this would be easy.  A piece of cake.



A piece of fruitcake maybe.




Stupid, stupid hat.




I thought if I took a simple witch's hat, using the form, this would be a breeze.



It sounded like a good plan at the time.




Taking foam I stole from our old couch as I tore it apart, I formed a face on the hat.  I did a lot of folding and stuffing that you can't quite see from my photos, and the "nose" and "mouth" protrudes quite a bit.  I used A LOT of hot glue to do this.



Just foam and glue.



I then started adding extra foam pieces over the hat to help with "wrinkles" and such.



I wanted the hat to be taller and the tip to have more of a shape, so I added more foam there too.



It looked like a mess, but it was coming along as I had intended.






And then it was time to add the fabric.


What I didn't know when I picked up this cheap polyester blend fabric, was that it would be heavy.  I thought, "wow, this will be so easy to drape. It's flexible.  It's stretchy.  It's awesome."  IT"S HEAVY!  You may not think so, but try taking two yards of fabric and gluing it ever so slowly over a witch's hat.  I felt like I was suffocating.  I was so irate.  I also didn't count on the WITCH HAT MELTING.  It was seriously melting!!!!!  This was my least favorite project ever and I will repeat that as many times as I wish.


Be glad you weren't around to feel my blood boil.



The issue is that I can be a bit of a perfectionist.  And not a "oh my gosh, I'm such a perfectionist."  No, I'm a "well, I can be a perfectionist at times."  I'm a keep doing something over and over until I realize it will never be perfect.  I'm a person who knowingly admits perfection isn't achievable.




And yet, I expected this hat to be perfect.  The Redhead claims it is.  That doesn't keep me from hating it any less.  I will tell you it looks much better in person as there's a sheen in the fabric that does not photograph well.



But I still hate that hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment