Friday, May 8, 2015

Wild About Harry: The Wand That I Want

I've finally sat myself down and forced myself to look at pictures I took last week.  I did this for you.  Only for you.  I meant to do it sooner, but well, when you're as hyperactive and as easily distracted as I am, that's a lot harder than one might think.



By the way, in case you didn't know, we're having a Hogwarts themed party in July for The Redhead's eleventh birthday.  She's been ready for this party for an incredibly long time since she hasn't even opened one of the books since she was newly nine.  I've been planning it since I reluctantly first started the series back in 2000.  And if one thought I went overboard with all kinds of parties, you could only imagine what I would do with a theme I'm actually wild over.  Obsessive doesn't even begin to describe it.



Two weeks ago, I was concerned that I had yet to start making anything for the party.  I'd bought most everything, aside from food, but I hadn't started any of my real projects.  And trust me, I have a lot of projects planned.  A LOT.  More than I am willing to share at this moment.  And then something amazing happened.  I bought some chop sticks, finally, after coming up empty-handed, and inspiration took over.



A total of sixty chopsticks for $1.  Thank you, 99 Cent Only store. The location closest to our house didn't have any, but all was forgiven once I came across these.




Now you may or may not believe me, but I channeled the genius of Garrick Ollivander using chopsticks and my trusty glue gun.  That's it.



Oh, and paint.  I did use paint.  I spent less than $10 on four colors of metallic paint from the Hobby Lobbyists.  You could probably get the paint cheaper, and with coupons.  I didn't.  But you probably could.




Just playing around with my pal, Glue Gun, I came up with these designs.  They were not really planned out.  Well, a few were.  Some were happy accidents.  I would just keep adding glue, letting it dry just a bit so I could touch it and morph it into something, mold it like it was clay.  It was almost like playing with glass.  I had so much fun with these that I couldn't stop.  I keep finding myself making even more wands.  I love that I can do it however I want.







 Incredible things happen once paint is added.








To get the marble looking style, I did a lot of moving around of the chopstick so the glue wouldn't drip.  I would let it get a bit foggy looking, as I found when it was clear was when it was too hot and sticky to work with.  When it's slightly foggy, it's still hot, but I could touch it and mold it.  You don't want to wait too long, otherwise, you can't work with it.  Dry glue is not workable.




I used a piece of foam to hold them.  That's been really convenient.


















Again, these were made with cheap chopsticks, a glue gun (with glue sticks I bought for a $1 a bag), and paint.  I didn't use marbles, beads, polymer clay, or anything else.  And they're awesome.  Thanks to these gorgeous beasts, I am now on a Hogwarts frenzy, making all sorts of things.  I'm still not completely done with all of the wands, but I know by July 11th, I will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment