Tuesday, May 12, 2015

As a Computer Slowly Dies

At least four years ago, a machine started coming apart, much like a woman in her thirties.  It wasn't an old machine, but it started forgetting things.  It started losing things.  It misplaced the ability to open photos.  It didn't always like certain websites.  It didn't always want to show videos.  Then eventually other things went too.  The ability to open graphics in Microsoft Word.  Running important programs like Photoshop.  Microsoft Word crashed all the time.  And slowly a woman who depended on her machine more than she should saw her lifeline unable to even open Microsoft Word at all, the computer claimed it wasn't even there.    She really did wonder...what was next to go?  Then the final straw was when she couldn't print anything.



Before you feel sorry for this non-hypothetical woman, it didn't have to get to this point.  Her husband told her years ago her machine was awful and apologized for picking it out.  He also forced her to buy a machine over two months ago, after years of telling her to pick one out, albeit, he had yet to set it up, but still.  It wasn't until a few weeks ago, she finally moved her other files to an external hard drive.  And as you guessed it, that woman is of course me.   Yes, me.  I know, I know, you're so surprised.



My computer started dying in Kansas, so long ago, I don't even know when it started.  I know I had to rely on Mister Man's machine at times.  I could use my machine for certain things, but it was quite finicky.  It always has been.  I'm hoping this new machine is nicer to me.  I haven't been able to properly use Photoshop in an incredibly long time.  And I'm ecstatic to have Microsoft Office working!  YAY ME!  To just simply open photo files without using an additional program?  WHOA!  How I let it go on as long as I did, I don't know.  Sometimes my inability to change allows me to suffer in conditions that are not okay.  I recognize that in myself.  I am fully aware.



Also, how did we let ourselves become so fully dependent on computers?  I admit it, I need mine for everything.  Mister Man and The Redhead like computers for playing games, I use mine for everything else.



So me and all my baggage is now using a new machine.  All of my 5k of fonts are installed (and that's not an exaggeration).  My external drive is plugged in.  I still need to install Photoshop and my Silhouette software.  That's right!  I bought a Silhouette last fall and haven't even been able to use it!  The old machine refused to allow me to make any new friends.  I also need to add all of my favorite links.  I would like to lie and tell you that means I'll be blogging more, but the old machine had little to do with my lack of blogging.  And I don't want to lie to you.



But my new computer says hi.





No comments:

Post a Comment