Sunday, May 10, 2015

Wild About Harry: Quills on the Supply List

Last week, I decided to scratch another task off my list, one I thought would be quite easy.  I had this idea last year to make feather quills using pens and duct tape.  You can't go to Hogwarts without having a quill.




So I took a package of pens from my stash.  (Plus a few more from another package.)




I made sure to save that label for the school.




I used some duct tape I bought specifically for this project.  Luckily, I found these rolls back in the fall at the Dollar Tree.  I didn't even use the second roll, and still have plenty of the first roll left.  The Redhead now gets the leftovers to use for art projects.







I made my feathers to look like this.





I don't really care if you want your feather to look like this.  But that was how I saw it in my head.



This wasn't perfectly centered when I took the photo.





I would then fold the duct tape over the pen.  And when they didn't match up perfectly, and sometimes they didn't, I would cut them to be even.




None of the feathers are exact matches.  Because feathers never are exactly the same.




Then I just slowly cut all of the slits.



Simple enough, right?






The Redhead also made a couple.  This was very simple, yet she was very excited about them!  I have another style of quill I also might end up making, but I wanted to see what the duct tape version would look like first.  I am not disappointed.  If you are, well, go buy your own quill then.

No comments:

Post a Comment