Monday, May 25, 2015

Wild About Harry: Painting Snitches is a...

I don't know if you've ever played Quidditch, but in case you haven't, the most important part of the game is catching the golden snitch, this beautiful golden little ball with wings.  It flies around all stealth-like and if you indeed catch it, like Harry Potter himself, you're golden.  Or at least you've won the game.



Sounds easy enough, right?


Of course.



So, I decided to make some golden snitches.  I figured it should have been simple enough.  If Harry Potter can catch those little buggers, surely I, a middle-aged woman could make a few.  Or one dozen.  I did so with ping pong balls from the 99 cent only store, glue sticks, a nail, white feathers, and gold spray paint.  I first punctured some holes in the sides and used hot glue to make designs The Redhead liked.









  Then I took those wonderful little balls of joy outside to paint.  So easy.  This was going to be a breeze.





Oh yeah.



Well, it was a breeze.  Or at least there was one.  And you know what I tend to forget?  Somehow, magically forget?  Balls roll.  They roll while you spray them with paint.  They roll with the wind while they dry.  They roll.  Time and time again, those little buggers roll.



It's like they're balls or something.



Eventually I had them all painted and luckily I didn't make too big of a mess on the concrete found on the side of our yard.  I had Midas' touch again.  And I had little snitches just in need of wings.  The holes needed to be bigger for the wings, and The Redhead preferred the wings to be white, so with wings added, we were closer to being prepared for a game or twelve of Quidditch.






No comments:

Post a Comment