Sunday, April 5, 2015

Breakfast at Tiffany's...Otherwise Known as Our House

I've been wanting to have a Breakfast at Tiffany's styled party for far longer than any woman should.  Of course, The Redhead was never going to go for such an event, not that I should blame her.  Maybe Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of my favorite movies, but it's not like children should watch it.  And The Redhead hasn't.  But then something wonderful happened.  Faster than I could belt out all the lyrics to Deep Blue Something's Breakfast at Tiffany's (and coincidentally enough my board with the Pinterestese is named "And I Said What About...") I had an epiphany.  The Redhead liked the idea of having an Easter Egg Hunt at our house for her friends...and well, I've always wanted a Breakfast at Tiffany's brunch.  Yes, I totally bribed her.  So this fusion happened.  I was picking out breakfast foods and Robin's egg blue products and singing "Moon River."  I was shopping for sunglasses, Easter baskets, and stuffing eggs.  Yes, I was indeed classing up a kids' party.  Breakfast at Tiffany's was happening.  With or without Audrey Hepburn.


We wanted to have an Easter egg hunt last year, but it would have fallen around the time as one of her friend's birthday parties, so I decided not to hold such a party.  No one knew.  I just packed the few items I had already purchased into my Easter tote.  While it was a little crazy to go to San Diego for vacation, come back, have a party two days later, and then Easter the next day, this party was not a failure.  The kids had fun.  I survived.  I baked muffins.  My house was clean.  And now we have three months before we throw The Redhead her eleventh birthday party.  And maybe I won't have an Easter party in the future, who knows at this point, but I'm so happy I finally experimented more with that Tiffany's blue.




I made these invitations using cardstock from The Hobby Lobbyists and white ribbon.








I kept wondering what I would do for the backdrop behind the table.  I came up with so many ideas, but I decided to go for simplicity and not spend anymore on this party.  I remembered I had extra cardstock left from the invitations so I made that little egg banner.  With my trusty hole puncher and a lot of ribbon, I managed to ever so slowly strand them together, tying each bow and moving forward to the next egg.  (That is just one long strand of ribbon.)




As for the birdcage, I actually bought that for our upcoming Hogwarts bash...but decided it'd look fabulous on the table.  Add in some extra speckled eggs, the Letter B from Michael's $1.50 bins, and it stacked nicely on a Tiffany's box I had from one of my father-in-law's former cave auction purchases.




I also made the platters holding the muffins using glue and plates and candle holders from the Dollar Tree.





Tiny bowls of cereal with tiny spoons.  I figured that'd make things sort of fun.




No one ate any of the bananas or cuties, but I have been.




I tried a new banana muffin recipe using Greek yogurt. I'm told they were delicious!




And with leftover batter, I made a larger version as well.




The kids ate most of the blueberries, luckily!  Even if it did involve them tossing them into their mouths.



Blueberry muffins from scratch.  I always overdo it with the food, but luckily I had willing people to take some of the leftovers home with them!



The Redhead's nickname is Bagels, for reasons I'm not sure I know, but it only made sense to offer bagels.



I didn't make the doughnut holes.  I bought them from a local bakery.  I feared buying regular doughnuts because I didn't want the kids eating just those for lunch.




These were not delicious and I would not try this recipe in the future.



I also offered some chocolate crescent rolls and two different sorts of cinnamon rolls.  We had sausage, bacon, pancakes, eggs, and hash browns too, although I don't see the point in sharing all of that.






My husband held the tablecloth down with bottles of water before I brought out the Tiffany boxes.  those actually are used to store toys in The Redhead's room, and the toys were still trapped safely inside.




The baskets to the right of the bunny were a big score from the 99 Cent Only Store.  The perfect color...and exactly the style I was going to MAKE for the party, but I didn't have to make them after all.  Yay!



All of the kids also took home a Webkinz bunny, also from the 99 Cent Only stores.



You probably can't tell, but eggs were scattered all over backyard.



Instead of a traditional egg hunt, we turned it into a scavenger hunt.  I used a sticker coding system on some of the eggs.  This wasn't just to keep it fair, but to also draw the hunt out to more than two minutes.



Meanwhile, I had a separate hunt in the front yard for my neighbor's young son.




As you can see, we were well stocked with fancy plastic glasses.










Yes, I decorated the bottles myself using black ribbon and the pearled strands.







The eggs had necklaces of plastic pearls in them, plastic rings, candy, miniature balloons, among other items.  I also made sure each kid went home with a bunny, their basket, a pair of sunglasses, a bottle of nail polish, and whatever else they found in their eggs.





 The girls loved drinking from fancy little glasses.






At some point, they were painting their nails.  A couple also painted their sunglasses.  And one painted her whole fingers.







I won't be sharing photos because they're not of my children, but we had a few girls who colored their faces with markers, making fantastic mustaches.  Meanwhile, The Redhead stayed looking like a little lady.  Deceiving, indeed.  And don't worry, they used baby wipes on their faces before going home.









The bunny art was from last year, and went well with this simple canvas I made using some white ribbon.



These were also simple using Dollar Tree candle holders and speckled plastic eggs from Target's dollar bins.



The Redhead was also wearing discounted fashion.  Her sunglasses also came from the Dollar Tree and the hat came from the 99 Cent Only Store.







And you're just going to have to stare at numerous photos of her because I had too much fun taking them.












  It was simply marvelous, darlings.

No comments:

Post a Comment